Sunday, December 2, 2007

Revision Operation of Total Hip Replacement

I've been experiencing an incredible amount of pain in my left hip for some time now. I finally went to the doctor with a pinched sciatic nerve in my leg. I have two total hip replacements--1994 and 1995. My orthopedic surgeon says I got a good 13 years out of the joint and should get twice that out of the new one. I am having what is called a Revision Operation of a Total Hip Replacement. The attached is my x-rays from the doctor. I color-coded and labeled a transparency over the x-ray to better help you under stand what is happening and why. I've included excerpts of information I received and researched. The movements in the total hip are creating a large volume of very small polyethylene particles. Note also that the ball component is no longer in the center of the cup, it moved upward. The ball dug a hole in the polyethylene cup, and moved upwards in this tract. This is a sign of increased wear of the polyethylene liner. Every step is creating yet more polyethylene particles.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great job with the blog. Does Jeremy have an email address? Brent will be here December 16 in Corsicana. Visited with him this past weekend and it is countdown for him. He will be here for about a month and then return to Babalon,Iraq. See ya Christmas.
R. Sam

Unknown said...

Hey Jeremy.

Thanks. My family and I appreciate you. That's all.

(i know your mama, and she graciously sent me this link.)

Melissa Knous

Anonymous said...

Hey Bonnie,
I looked at the Blog Site that is a great idea. You have some great pictures on their too. Sorry to hear about the hip surgery, but I know that has been bothering you for some time now. Where is Jeremy stationed? I will be getting home on the 16th so only a few more days, of course time has stopped!! Hope to see y'all at Granny's Birthday Party, if you are able. You can give my email to Jeremy if you want. I would be more than happy to talk with him if he needs an ear from someone going through the same thing. I will be praying for you and your surgery.
Talk to you later,
Brent Thompson, Babylon, Iraq

Anonymous said...

Hello Bonnie and Mark, Frist before I say anything I love this blog thing, I really do not know much about them but it looks like you do and you did a awesume job of it. I sat and cried and prayed for your family and it really makes me home sick. I miss our family soo much.
I am very proud of your sons. Jeremy has done so much for our country.
Let me know how your surgey goes.
I love you, Bonnie Feinsod